Overview of the Housekeeper role
- The Housekeeper leads the team responsible for the 'preparation and serving' of rooms for guests.
- Sheldon has 25 guest bedrooms (half in self-contained units) plus communal kitchens, meeting and dining rooms, used for private retreats, our own programme events and groups running their own events at Sheldon.
- The Housekeeper is responsible for ensuring each guest is welcomed with accommodation that is clean and correctly set up for their needs.
- The role includes a mix of office based planning and preparation, leading the cleaning team, stocking larders and running repairs.
You will report direct to the Warden and collaborate with the cellarer team and other senior members of staff and community. You will be trained by, and then take over from, Jan who is planning to retire from the role. You will recruit, roster, supervise and support the team of cleaners who work some regular hours plus other shifts according to changeover needs.
How the role looks day to day
You regularly adjust priorities as things change in the bookings diary, sometimes at short notice.Big changeovers may involve much of the accommodation in the course of a few hours, so some of your work is very time critical.
You have enough computer skills to be able to learn our bespoke bookings application to look up booking details, run reports, write up work lists and keep records for yourself and others. Smaller units of accommodation may need cleaning and setting up any day of the week. You might do this yourself or roster someone else to do it.
You keep a close eye to maintenance including mending, repairing, redecorating or ordering replacements for damaged equipment or furnishings. You often have direct contact with group or programme leaders to make sure that meeting rooms are set up and equipped to meet the needs of their activities. Colleagues in Reception contact you when guests have particular needs during their stay.
Entry level skills
Practical day to day use of Microsoft Office especially Word and Outlook (emails and calendars) plus basic use of Excel.
About you and your experience
- You enjoy caring for people in a role that is often behind the scenes.
- You enjoy working to high standards, are well organised and able to manage a team
- You have an eye for practical details and are good at fixing things.
- You have sufficient physical strength and stamina to sustain the carrying and furniture moving in the role, can work at speed when necessary, and are not shy of toilets, drains and other delightful things that need cleaning.
- You might come to this role from almost any previous walk of life and either have a track record of handling responsibility, or be at a point in your life when you're ready for the next challenge.