Recruiting : Bookkeeper for Sheldon Retreat
Overview of the Bookkeeper role
Sheldon is a medium size charity running a retreat centre with a turnover of £500,000. We are looking for someone to join our team who is reliable and collaborative with excellent attention to detail.The role of the bookkeeper is to support and facilitate the smooth running of Sheldon's day to day ministry. You come with a good understanding of the basic principles of bookkeeping (and probably a formal bookkeeping qualification) to include double-entry awareness and some experience of charity bookkeeping. You are in sympathy with the overall ethos of the charity with a genuine interest in fulfilling the role for 5 years or more.
We have completed our first full accounting year since transferring to Xero and Dext to create a cloud-based and mostly paperless workflow. You will be able to work on site or remotely (or a mix), but must be available to attend Sheldon in person at least twice a month. We anticipate an average workload of 2 days per week with a monthly reporting schedule. You may be either employed or self-employed.
You will inherit a well-organised system but one which is quite complex. As an indication, 2023 accounts have over 12,000 transactions logged. It is important that you have additional time to complete handover training in order to take on your responsibilities safely. Once things are running smoothly we hope that you will play a collaborative role in the ongoing development of the charity's systems. We will expect you to maintain good documentation on workflows in order to ensure resilience for the charity in case of your absence and to form the basis for audit.
Our current bookkeeper has served for 15 years and is looking to move on in spring 2024.
Your line manager will be either the Warden or the Technical/Projects Administrator. Other members of the team will have roles that interleave with bookkeeping such as till reconciliation, gift aid claims, payroll etc.
How the role looks day to day
- Invoices are already processed by others via Dext ready for you to check and process through to setting up BACS payments for others to authorise
- Input to ‘Legend’ (our bespoke application) bookings income, transfers between till and feeder accounts and daily card payment payouts from card merchant services, leading to reconciliation of current account
- Incoming standing orders and some bookings incomes are already processed by others within Legend ready for you to input batch invoices for reconciliation of second current account.
- Daily and weekly reconciliation of the physical till (cheques, cash and card payments) is done by colleagues leaving you to enter final figures into Xero and complete the reconciliation.
- Reconciliation of daily card payment payouts from card merchant services provider
- All other bank reconciliations with a combination of manual and bank feed mechanisms (various bonds, savings accounts, Paypal, etc)
- Making sure that cash flow is adequate and advising on transfers between accounts as required
- Sending out limited number of customer invoices
- We anticipate liaison with our payroll bureau will be taken on by another colleague leaving you to input final figures into Xero (but the role could potentially include payroll if mutually agreeable)
- We anticipate gift aid claims will be taken on by another colleague leaving you to input final figures into Xero (but the role could potentially include this too)
- General trouble shooting, and prompt reporting of any issues you are unable to resolve
- Preparing full sets of management reports (from existing templates) to the Warden on a monthly schedule
- Keeping documentation up to date and electronic filing tidy
- Preparation for year end and audit
Entry level requirements
- Good working proficiency in Xero (and Dext integration)
- Working proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) for record keeping, communications and reporting
- Charity bookkeeping experience - the more complex the better
About you and your experience
- You are able to demonstrate a good track record of charity bookkeeping, backed by good references
- You are well organised and have excellent attention to detail
- You are highly motivated, work well independently and collaborate well with colleagues
- Your are able to consistently work to agreed deadlines
- Ideally you will have a vocational desire to contribute in a charity setting (but there is no requirement for that to be in the form of a personal Christian faith)
Application deadline is 10th February 2024
If you wish to arrange a pre-application conversation, please request by email with an outline of the areas you would find it helpful to discuss email@example.com